The Feast Forward Kitchen is the place to find inspiration for creating your own recipes for forward thinking Jewish tradition. Continue to check back to this page to find out how you can
participate in Feast Forward through the creative sharing of videos, texts, ideas and events.
We want to hear your voice!
Recipe for Action:
Add Your Voice to "A Prayer for Rain"
T'filat HaGeshem, "A Prayer for Rain," recited during the last two days of Sukkot, recalls for us the importance and scarcity of water. How often do we think about water? Do we take it for granted? How does water effect you in your life?
Create your own prayer for rain, a personalized T'filat HaGeshem, and share it with the world. Just follow the four easy steps below.
You can find pdfs for directions and source sheets for T'filat HaGeshem in English and Hebrew below.
The Four Steps
1) Record yourself reading your favorite line from “Tefilat HaGeshem.”
- Memorize between 1-3 lines of the poem and record them on your phone, camera, computer or tablet.
- Look directly at the camera and make sure your voice is audible.
- Try to include some form of water into your video.
2) Add your own thoughts and prayers
Create your own personalized and localized blessings in this style...
“Remember the people of New Orleans, who have witnessed the power of water...
“Remember the farmers of the Midwest, whose crops thirst for water...”
You may want to simply give a shout out to a geographical location
“Remember the mountain streams of Vermont...”
“Remember the forests of Colorado...”
“Remember the Gulf of Mexico”
Positive blessings are encouraged too!
“Remember the mighty Hudson River, which is getting cleaner every day”
Please also include a short section that completes the sentence
“What I most love about water is...”
3) Send us your video
- If your video is under 20Mb email or share your raw video file to email@example.com
- If your email is between 20mb and 300 Mb, please send us a link to your file using a service such as sendspace.com, dropbox, or YouSendit.
- If your video is large, post your video to YouTube or Vimeo and send us the link at: firstname.lastname@example.org
4) Share the video with your friends and colleagues
Post it, email it, share it, like and watch it as much as possible.